Switch theme
About Contact Log in Register!

If you see this message, please make sure that you are using original
TwoMovies website: Two Movies (click here to visit)

IQ tests (269 views)

top expert
!

(1 week ago)
Now there is an international joke. Way back when I had to hitch my dinosaur to the post outside my school. The IQ test was 100 questions at a point each. Therefore an IQ of over 100 was impossible. Now it seems to be made up at your own whim. I like the number 138 for some reason. So that is now my IQ.

top expert
!

+1
(1 week ago)
That has never been how child IQ is calculated.

Mental age ÷ Child age × 100 = IQ.

Mental age came from testing and comparing scores with other age ranges.

A 10 year old with tests scores that compared to 15 year old's would be...

15 ÷ 10 x 100 = IQ of 150.

These days I think they compare scoring within the same age range but using test results from both bottom and top scorers.

Adult IQ is calculated a little differently.

guru
!

+1
(3 days ago)
@DemandingFemale There's a few people on here who'd fail a blood test, never mind one to find an IQ.

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
@Mykee83 LOL. I'd be wary of saying stuff like that 'round here.

[SPOILER]

guru
!

(3 days ago)
@DemandingFemale I think we've known each other long enough for you to realise how pointless that comment is; it's not like I care how easy it is to melt the snowflake RWNJs on here smiley

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
@Mykee83 Well, whatever you do... Do NOT correct their appalling use of the English language. *scoffs*

guru
!

+1
(3 days ago)
@DemandingFemale they're communicating in English? Naa, you're lying.

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
@Mykee83 It's a primitive form.

One up from banging on rocks smiley

guru
!

(3 days ago)
@DemandingFemale smiley I like that one

top expert
!

+1
(1 week ago)
Holy Moley, Egor17, the days of a simple IQ test are long gone! I'm not sure where or how this conversation got started. There are only two comments on my screen referring to IQ tests; so I don't know if you've already bewailed the fact that the Stanford-Binet Test (given to us dinosaurs back in the day) is no longer the be-all-end-all in measuring intelligence. Heck, there isn't even one kind of intelligence anymore!

Our poor kids (and their teachers) are subjected to a battery of tests, depending on whether or not they are considered "gifted", "delayed" or "on the Spectrum". The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children™ (WISC), the Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children™ (KABC), or the Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI). The KABC™ relies primarily on manipulative and verbal responses and the WPPSI is primarily designed to measure general intelligence in children under three years of age.*

Since most IQ tests rely on reading, writing, and sometimes verbal responses, a couple of tests were designed for folks who can't comply: The Test of Nonverbal Intelligence™ (TONI) and the Universal Nonverbal Intelligence Test™(UNTI).

But wait, more than a few educators and psychology types decided there's plenty of intelligence that can be identified & measured: emotional, deductive, fluid/crystallized thinking, the ability to comprehend and convey information to others, etcetera, et ad nauseum.

According to psychologist Howard Gardner, an intelligence is "a biopsychological potential to process information that can be activated in a cultural setting to solve problems or create products that are of value in a culture." In 1989, he came up with what has come to be called the Multiple Intelligences (MI) theory; he defined the seven kinds of intelligence as musicality, visual-spatial, verbal-linguistic, logic-mathematical, bodily-kinesthetic, emotional-interpersonal, self-reflective/intrapersonal. In 1995, he added ecological receptivity a "sensitive, ethical, and holistic understanding" of the world and its complexities – including the role of humanity within the greater ecosphere.

For some reason, Gardner refuses to add to his list, saying spirituality, humor, sexuality, and a proficiency in cooking don't qualify as forms of intelligence. By the end of the 90s, MI was taking major hits and people were coming up with their own ideas about what counts as intelligence and even more IQ tests.

The Psychological-Intelligence side is getting the most play these days. I'm sure everybody's seen the many on-line tests measuring among other things: implicit social cognition (thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control); existential, axiological, and emotional intelligence; as well as color- & food-preference tests.

Well, I had fun researching IQ tests. Hope I didn't bore you with my findings smiley

Info from random sites "kinds of intelligence tests" & the dustier parts of my brain

top expert
!

+1
(1 week ago)
@wolfeather11 So basically you need a high IQ just to take the IQ, never mind understand what it's about.
Way back when it was just the 3 R's that were important.. And 2 of them didn't even start with a 'R'?
The whole idea of an IQ test just makes me laugh.

top expert
!

(4 days ago)
@Egor17 @Egor17, yup. You gotta have a high IQ just to read the instructions and nope, understanding never enters into it. Your observation about the 3 Rs made me laugh...

BTW, the other day, I finally saw "Taxi Driver" all the way through. Oh my. I felt about Travis Bickle the way The Girl from "The Seven Year Itch" did about the Creature: kinda sorry. I mean, the poor guy meant well. What do you think of the ending? [SPOILER]SScorsese and Schrader don't seem to agree.

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
@wolfeather11 Good grief. Taxi Driver. Just how old do you think I am? Na. Just pulling your leg. I did see it when it was new. Good story but not really something I'd watch again. So memorable I have no idea how it ended.

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
@Egor17 I mentioned it cuz of yer avatar. I thought it was Travis but mebbe it's just mah poor tahrd eyes (For a "best movie ever made" I couldn't remember most of the movie. Maybe a future topic could be: What's your favorite Scorsese film?)

senior guru
!

(1 week ago)
@wolfeather11 They never had"mechanical-aptitude"tests,,so people who were great at that,got sent to "vocational schools"which were regarded as "inferior to read-write-geniuses."--and meant"vocational schools are for idiots or not-good-at-academics."ACADEMICS was the only ruler for measure.

top expert
!

+1
(3 days ago)
@clarachan1355 When I was growing up there was a simple choice, Academics or learn a trade. I became an electrical/electronics technician. Payed better than being a teacher. And the bonus of being electrocuted for not learning fast enough.

God
!

(3 days ago)
@Egor17 What could be better than that! An advanced learning schedule, with a definite ending!

senior guru
!

(1 week ago)
We usually had IQ tests in grade school,but they never tell parents the results--unless it is unusual one way or another.So my mom was told my sister and I were both 140 apiece.

But I have known people with 200 IQ,and the person did alot better in the business-job-computer world,and earned a lot more money than we 140's ever did.The upbringing was very different,and the 200 IQ learned right away to be very practical,got a multiple=cosmestician=-barber license.And then changed careers.and got into computers in the business world.
We others were intelligent, but we were never taught to be cold bloodily practical,--which made a lot of difference.

If-I had known what I now know,I never would have even tried to go into any type of art as a career.=-I would have gone to business school--with all it's faults it is a lot more cerebrally interesting.--art is ffffing boring and stupid as Hell.--you not only do not make any money,you end up regretting any of it.--usually you either listen to your elders,or you defy them on purpose and do the opposite.--many of us do that.

And if our elders are really stupid,then it is twice as bad.

But,if you HAVE ANY PHYSIOLOGICAL OR MENTAL PROBLEMS, you get cast aside anyway.People don't like to hire any one with disabilities except for fed.govt. programs.Private industry I remember,is also very concerned with"how you look and dress."If you do have autism,they can get away without ever hiring you.--They can't be forced to hire autistic people.Or,if you have a "anti-social" personality,"they can fire you with the excuse with"you don't fit in."

top expert
!

(3 days ago)
Just saw the show "Eugenics" on American Experience (PBS). Holy moley! If you flunked their IQ test the best thing that could happen is getting labelled MORON. "Feeble-minded" meant the nuthouse and sterilization. They really had no grey areas back in the day. You either fit into their idea of what a good, white, upper-middle class Christian was or you were doomed. No wonder there was Prohibition. And they talked about building a wall too; the "trash" from non-Nordic countries (their words) was held back by cutting immigration to 95%!

@clarachan1355, I thought of you when they were saying feeble-mindedness, alcoholism, and low morals were all from bad genes. (NOT THAT YOU ARE!!) I was just thinking of how today people care about the way you look and back then even Dubois talked about presenting yourself in a way that "fit in" with corporate aesthetics. Let's face it, that's what the "Paper Bag" test is all about, right?

If you couldn't pass the IQ tests (during WWI there were two kinds, one for people who could read and write, and one for the illiterate and non-English speakers -- most of the young men who were drafted. Then, as today, it seems you can fight for the USA but don't expect to be treated like a full-fledged American citizen.) Anyway, they had pictures with something missing and you were supposed to draw in the blanks. Unfortunately, if you didn't respond in the way a well-educated, Anglo-Saxon Protestant should you were marked wrong. One example was an Italian who drew a cross on a partially completed line drawing of a building. Quite frankly, I don't know what the correct answer was but after watching the show I could have told the poor fella he might as well have put a Star of David on the roof because Catholics, dogs, and N-words were all deemed "unfit". Sometimes I forget the Gay 90s & Roaring 20s weren't the best of times for people of color or non-Protestants. At one point, Hitler said folks should use the United States as a template for Eugenics. I'll never again be able to eat a bowl of Kellogg's Corn Flakes without choking.

A few comments ago, I was going to mention the "Career Path" tests I had to take (but my Chromebook went on the fritz). I've always done really well on the reading comprehension & grammar sections of IQ tests and really crappy when it comes to math & logic. So they thought it would be helpful for me to find a vocation. Lord knows we don't need another 19th century-English lit major running around spreading all those crazy Liberal Arts ideas on de yoots smiley .

So the tester dumps a box of shiny whatsits in front of me and gives me three minutes to put them together. She could have given me three hours. Then, I had to figure out how shaded boxes and triangles related to some line drawings of circles and rectangles! It was only when I started bawling that they stopped yelling at me for screwing up. Once everybody calmed down, I took a test to see what career best suited my personality. Based on comparing my answers to how people with different careers answered the same questions, I am most suited to being an elevator operator, a circus acrobat, or a priest. I swear to god.

FEEDBACK